Advertising on CARTA
Available Media Forms
Internal and External bus advertising
Currently, flyers (non-CARTA materials) are not allowed for distribution on CARTA buses.
BusQueens, Kings, Ultra Super Kings, Full Wraps, Headliners, Headlights, Taillights, Fullbacks, Window Clings.
Please email CARTA’s Advertising Manager Jon Kane at email@example.com for more information or give Jon a call at (843) 364-2627.
Although not a federal agency, CARTA procurements are governed by the Federal Transit Administration regulations. As such, please find the FTA Master Agreement: Federal Transit Administration Master Agreement.
Are you interested in doing business with local government agencies? If so, you have found your first step. Conducting business with CARTA may be a rewarding experience and we invite our business to compete for opportunities. There are small and large opportunities for local, regional and national businesses to do business with CARTA.
To participate as a registered DBE, you must be registered with the SCDOT. We also encourage and have programs for DBE and Small Businesses to participate in procurement opportunities.
In accordance with State Procurement Code and CARTA’s current contract for procurement services, please use the following contact information for any projects that have entered the active procurement process or to add/delete/change vendor information on CARTA’s official Vendors’ List and for general information regarding CARTA procurement, send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-724-7304.
Although not required, official vendor application and registration does assist CARTA in appropriately matching vendors with specific business opportunities as they become available.
Current open solicitations:
RFP Financial Audit Services
RFP Mobile Ticketing
IFB Parking Ticket Kiosk
IFB Facility Repairs Leeds Ave.
Vehicle Wash System RFP
AVL RFP //
Website Design and Redevelopment RFP//
Farebox Management System RFP//
CARTA RFP-Bus Shelter//
Rawle Murdy Associates
CARTA is governed by eight member governments and by regulations of the Federal Transportation Authority. As such, the system has responsibility to consider any media requests and handle them as the system deems appropriate, on a case by case basis.
All media outlets should respect the rights of bus system users, drivers and other staff to use the systme without disturbance.
The following policies and guidelines have been set in order for CARTA to effectively and quickly handle any media requests from documented media outlets and contact:
- Requests to board any CARTA bus should be submitted more than 48 business hours in advance of need.
- When the request is to board a CARTA bus, a CARTA representative must be present. This is to aid in coordination of any interview and access needs in a timely and smooth manner.
- Media must provide assignment details in writing or over the phone, including timing, focus of the story, interview needs (CARTA spokesperson, driver and/or passenger), if bringing a video or traditional camera, etc.
- All media requests submitted to staff will be relayed to Rawle Murdy, on behalf of CARTA. Media outlets are welcome to contact Daniel Brock with Rawle Murdy directly with any requests.
- CARTA requests the opportunity to comment on any story that is filmed on or about CARTA buses or the transit system.
Filming / Photography
Your filming and photography projects, both large and small, are welcome on CARTA.
Charleston is a beautiful city and has become very popular for making programs and movies. CARTA providing the public transportation to the city is a vital part of the area and plays a strong role in it’s image. If you are not a professional photographer or filmmaker and want to know about taking your own pictures or video on CARTA, see our Photo & Video policy below.
How CARTA Works With You
- CARTA vehicles can be rented for productions any time, except weekday rush hours (approx 6am-9am & 3pm – 6pm) or where restricted by CARTA. Any rental fees are for production purposes only. CARTA cannot operate charter services at any time.
- CARTA buses travel throughout the Charleston and surrounding areas. Rentals start at a minimum of four hours which includes travel time to and from your production location. The Bus Operator’s labor cost is included in the rental rate. Supervisory personnel is needed for most productions.
- Our fleet consist of over 100 buses, trolleys, shuttles and Tele-A Ride vehicles. We recently purchased new buses and are in the process of acquiring additional new buses.
- Trolley’s are great when looking for a vintage touch.
We can provide your production with:
- Bus stop signs
- Public information signs
- Maps, schedules, brochures and other CARTA publications
- Farecard replicas
Appropriate personnel is required for support as follows:
- Supervisory staff to accompany you and/or your crew whenever your project is scheduled
- Specialized personnel can be hired as needed: Bus Operators, Customer Assistants, Laborers, etc.
Contact & Request Procedures:
- Contact CARTA at least two weeks in advance at email@example.com.
- Email or fax a Letter of Intent with your script, storyboard or concept detailing how and when you want to use CARTA services. We will contact you within 24 hours of receipt.
- A pre-production meeting will be held at CARTA offices with your organization and CARTA staff to discuss your plans and how we can accommodate them in compliance with CARTA’s regulations and safety requirements and FTA requirements.
- Request made less than two weeks in advance are subject to postponement until adequate CARTA manpower is available.
- Download the Filming and Photography Guide which includes requirements to film, insurance information and the request form.
Photo & Video Policy
- The general public is permitted to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within public areas of CARTA and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use.
- Large cameras, photos or video equipment or ancillary equipment such as lighting, tripods, cables, etc. are prohibited (except in instances where commercial and professional photographers enter into contractual agreement with CARTA.
- All photographers and videographers are prohibited from entering, photographing, or videotaping non-public areas of the CARTA transit system.
- All photographers and videographers are prohibited from impeding customer traffic flow, obstructing transit operations, interfering with customers, blocking doors or stairs, and affecting the safety of CARTTA, its employees, or customers. All photographers and videographers must fully and immediately comply with any requests, directions, or instructions of CARTA personnel related to safety concerns.
- For everyone’s safety, do not use a camera’s flash if facing a person who is operating a train or bus.
- Be respectful of others – CARTA customers and employees. –
- Don’t stand (or cause others to stand) in the way of stairs, aisles, or doorways.
- Be careful! Your safety is very important to us, so stay away from moving vehicles.
- Be safe! Don’t inch backward with your camera to get a wider view – always look where you’re going.
- While on CARTA premises, all photographers and videographers must comply with all applicable rules, including but not limited to, this policy, all applicable laws, ordinances, municipal regulations, standard operating procedures, administrative procedures and other CARTA policies. CARTA personnel may evaluate the actions of a photographer or a videographer, and if a determination is made that the actions of a photographer or videographer are not in compliance with any applicable rule, CARTA personnel may terminate the permission granted by this policy.
CARTA facilities and vehicles are for the exclusive use of the CARTA, its employees, and its customers. Any and all permission granted to photograph and videotape in connection with this policy is subordinate to CARTA’s obligations to its customers, employees and to the general public. Loitering at CARTA stations for extended periods for the purpose of taking photographs or video is prohibited.
For more information about the CARTA’s Photo and Video Policy, or to make arrangements for professional, commercial or other similar photograph and/or video activities, please contact the CARTA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-724-7420.