Americans with Disabilities Act – ADA
Reasonable Modification Policy
CARTA is committed to providing equal access and opportunity to qualified individuals with disabilities in all programs, services, and activities. CARTA recognizes that, in order to have equally effective opportunities and benefits, individuals with disabilities may need reasonable modifications to policies and procedures. CARTA will adhere to all applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable modifications, as necessary, to afford equal access to programs for persons with disabilities. CARTA does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission to, participation in, or receipt of services and benefits under any transit program or activity. CARTA will take appropriate steps to ensure that persons with disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate.
No qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of CARTA programs, or be subject to discrimination by CARTA.
Submitting an ADA Complaint
Any individual who feels they have experienced a violation under ADA can submit a complaint. All complaints can be submitted by telephone (843-724-7420), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), mail to 5790 Casper Padgett Way, North Charleston, SC 29406, on our website by clicking the link below, or in-person at 5790 Casper Padgett Way, North Charleston, SC 29406.
To file an online complaint form, please click ADA Complaint form .
- Additional Accessibility Services
- ADA Complaint form
- All CARTA Buses Are Equipped for Riders with Disabilities
- How to Get a CARTA Disability ID Card?
- Paratransit – Curb to Curb Service
- Text Only (Click Text Only to adjust this Web site to a text only format )
- Audiotape and Braille — When requested we can provide CARTA materials in accessible formats. Please email email@example.com or call 843-724-7420 for assistance.
- TTY/TTD — Need special assistance by phone? Call our TTY/TTD phone number, (843) 747-1499.
CARTA is committed to making our public transit system increasing accessible to members of the community with various disabilities.
We make riding easy with these extra bus features:
- Lifts accommodate wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
- Buses lower or “kneel” to the curb to make boarding easy.
- Priority seating is available for customers with disabilities. These seats are conveniently located at the front of the bus. Bus operators will secure wheelchairs and scooters.
- Service animals are welcome.
Fare is only $0.75 everyday, all day with valid CARTA Card. Riders with disabilities can ride the bus at a reduced fare. You must have a CARTA ID Card issued by SC Works (formally Trident One Stop) to qualify. For more information, see Special Rates.
- Make sure you have a photo ID and proof of disability before applying.
- Accepted documents: Medicare card, Social Security Award letter, or Veteran Disability Award letter
- Apply in person at SC Works (Formally Trident One Stop), 1930 Hanahan Road, North Charleston, SC 29406 or call (843) 574-1800 or (843) 574-1810 to request an application by mail.
If you have difficulty getting to the bus stop and/or riding fixed-route buses, view information on CARTA’s paratransit service Tel-A-Ride.
If you’re visiting Charleston and are disabled, you can ride CARTA at the discounted rate when you show your Medicare Card, or your Disabled ID Card from your home transit system. A visitor to the Charleston area may also use Tel-A-Ride if he or she is certified by another transit system or is found to be eligible for the service in Charleston. Likewise, a Tel-A-Ride patron may be eligible for similar service in other cities. Your Tel-A-Ride identification card will certify your eligibility for paratransit service in Charleston. For questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-724-7420.