CARTA services will run as regularly scheduled on August 21, 2017.
Here is what to expect day of the event:
• Anticipate delays during and after the eclipse which will take place between 1:17 -4:10 p.m. The total eclipse will take place at 2:46 p.m. until 2:48 p.m.
• For safety reasons all CARTA services will hold in place starting at 2:41 p.m. and will remain on hold until around 2:53 p.m. This means buses will stop at a predetermined, designated safe location along your route for about 10 minutes.
• Drivers will provide eclipse glasses to passengers on board the bus at the time of the event to view the eclipse. Passengers will be allowed to disembark to view the event (passengers are not required to get off the bus). Please remain close to the vehicle and do not stand in any driveways or roadways.
**DRIVERS WILL PROVIDE GLASSES WHILE SUPPLIES LAST TO THOSE PASSENGERS WHO ARE ON THE BUS WHEN THE BUS STOPS FOR THE TOTALITY PORTION
• Passengers will need to re-board the bus around 2:50 p.m. and quickly be seated so the bus can prepare to resume service.
• All routes will be slightly off schedule following the main portion of the eclipse, but staff will try to get back on regular schedule as soon as possible.
• The full event will end at 4:10 p.m. We anticipate delays throughout the system as regular rush hour traffic combines with hundreds of people leaving observation sites throughout the Charleston area.
• For more information, please call Customer Service at (843) 724-7420.