Safety and Security are a Top Priority at CARTA
Safety and security are a top priority at CARTA. We work hard every day to ensure your ride is trouble-free. We constantly upgrade and improve our security measures while still delivering the fast, efficient service you expect.
CARTA bus operations are handled by Veolia, a world class leader in the transit industry. Bus operators are trained in a safety and security programs which include hours of classroom and behind the wheel training along with performance standards and skills that must consistently be met. Bus operators are trained to:
- Call in medical emergencies, incidents, traffic accidents and house fires to the CARTA dispatch radio room immediately
- Report suspicious individuals on the bus or individuals loitering at bus stops or at Park and Rides
In addition, CARTA works with many outside agencies on security drills and the latest detection devices for various chemical or biological agents.
CARTA also protects you by:
- Announcing AMBER alerts to bus operators as they happen
- All buses are equipped with a two-way radio which directly connects the driver to CARTA Dispatch and has the ability to be in direct contact with municipal police departments
- All buses are equipped with surveillance cameras
- Providing free bus service to the community during weather emergencies
Prohibited activities Include:
Harassment of any kind, loud playing of any type of audio device, illegal acts such as assaults, panhandling, soliciting, gambling, selling, graffiti and etching, carrying weapons and flammable or explosive materials, smoking, and consumption of drugs and alcohol.
Help us keep CARTA safe by:
If you ride CARTA, you are probably more familiar with your particular stops, routes and fellow commuters than anyone else. We are asking you to help keep CARTA safe for everyone by reporting unattended packages or suspicious behavior. If you observe something out of the ordinary, report it to a bus operator, or CARTA agent or employee