Your filming and photography projects, both large and small, are welcome on CARTA.
Charleston is a beautiful city and has become very popular for making programs and movies. CARTA providing the public transportation to the city is a vital part of the area and plays a strong role in it’s image.
If you are not a professional photographer or filmmaker and want to know about taking your own pictures or video on CARTA, see our Photo & Video policy below.
How CARTA works with you
- CARTA vehicles can be rented for productions any time, except weekday rush hours (approx 6am-9am & 3pm – 6pm) or where restricted by CARTA. Any rental fees are for production purposes only. CARTA cannot operate charter services at any time.
- CARTA buses travel throughout the Charleston and surrounding areas. Rentals start at a minimum of four hours which includes travel time to and from your production location. The Bus Operator’s labor cost is included in the rental rate. Supervisory personnel is needed for most productions.
- Our fleet consist of over 100 buses, trolleys, shuttles and Tele-A Ride vehicles. We recently purchased new buses and are in the process of acquiring additional new buses.
- Trolley’s are great when looking for a vintage touch.
We can provide your production with:
- Bus stop signs
- Public information signs
- Maps, schedules, brochures and other CARTA publications
- Farecard replicas
Appropriate personnel is required for support as follows:
- Supervisory staff to accompany you and/or your crew whenever your project is scheduled
- Specialized personnel can be hired as needed: Bus Operators, Customer Assistants, Laborers, etc.
Contact & Request Procedures:
- Contact CARTA at least two weeks in advance at email@example.com.
- Email or fax a Letter of Intent with your script, storyboard or concept detailing how and when you want to use CARTA services. We will contact you within 24 hours of receipt.
- A pre-production meeting will be held at CARTA offices with your organization and CARTA staff to discuss your plans and how we can accommodate them in compliance with CARTA’s regulations and safety requirements and FTA requirements.
- Request made less than two weeks in advance are subject to postponement until adequate CARTA manpower is available.
- Download the Filming and Photography Guide which includes requirements to film, insurance information and the request form.
Photo & Video Policy
- The general public is permitted to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within public areas of CARTA and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use.
- Large cameras, photos or video equipment or ancillary equipment such as lighting, tripods, cables, etc. are prohibited (except in instances where commercial and professional photographers enter into contractual agreement with CARTA.
- All photographers and videographers are prohibited from entering, photographing, or videotaping non-public areas of the CARTA transit system.
- All photographers and videographers are prohibited from impeding customer traffic flow, obstructing transit operations, interfering with customers, blocking doors or stairs, and affecting the safety of CARTTA, its employees, or customers. All photographers and videographers must fully and immediately comply with any requests, directions, or instructions of CARTA personnel related to safety concerns.
- For everyone’s safety, do not use a camera’s flash if facing a person who is operating a train or bus.
- Be respectful of others – CARTA customers and employees.
- Don’t stand (or cause others to stand) in the way of stairs, aisles, or doorways.
- Be careful! Your safety is very important to us, so stay away from moving vehicles.
- Be safe! Don’t inch backward with your camera to get a wider view – always look where you’re going.
- While on CARTA premises, all photographers and videographers must comply with all applicable rules, including but not limited to, this policy, all applicable laws, ordinances, municipal regulations, standard operating procedures, administrative procedures and other CARTA policies. CARTA personnel may evaluate the actions of a photographer or a videographer, and if a determination is made that the actions of a photographer or videographer are not in compliance with any applicable rule, CARTA personnel may terminate the permission granted by this policy.
CARTA facilities and vehicles are for the exclusive use of the CARTA, its employees, and its customers. Any and all permission granted to photograph and videotape in connection with this policy is subordinate to CARTA’s obligations to its customers, employees and to the general public. Loitering at CARTA stations for extended periods for the purpose of taking photographs or video is prohibited.
For more information about the CARTA’s Photo and Video Policy, or to make arrangements for professional, commercial or other similar photograph and/or video activities, please contact the CARTA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-724-7420.